Since I have been asked to present on the metrics for container and modular data center deployments at the 2011 7×24 Exchange Spring Conference (www.7x24exchange.org/spring11/brochure), one of the main issues I have with non-stick built deployments is the metric used to measure success. Here are a few nuggets for thought:
- How much are you willing to pay for speed of deployment?
- Who’s selling you the solution and what is the motivation for said sale outside of the obvious desire for more business?
- Seeing the cost for speed of deployment, what premium are you willing to pay for speed to deploy new assets over excess space in existing facilities?
- Are you happy with the container or modular solution in the long run, operationally speaking?
- Do you understand the dynamic of costs and who and where the money falls on a container or modular approach?
- What is your financial metric for the $$/rack position or MIP or TB in the data center?
So, ask yourself this question:
Are you happier with the gift or the wrapping?
Tags: data center
, data centers
, modular power
, power distribution
, UPS power